Thursday, September 16, 2010

Juicy Salmon

Yup, that's what I've been eating a lot of recently! I've acquired the Boy's George Foreman grill, which is perfect for almost everything, and so so easy.

Here are my recent eats. I haven't bought new batteries for the camera yet, so these cell phone pics will have to continue to suffice. Sorry Y'all!

Mmm, this salmon is SO good. It is very juicy and moist when cooked on the George Foreman. I just toss these defrosted slabs on, shut the lid, and wait four minutes for a decadent main course. Usually I season these beforehand, but I forgot and was able to taste the salmon in all its glory. Very good. But I couldn't resist sprinkling a little lemon pepper on top to amp up my flavorgasm. I also had a mixed greens salad, some broccoli fettuccine alfredo, and lightly salted green beans.

Looks very appetizing, eh? I made this egg scramble with bella mushrooms, broccoli, and onions. I resisted the urge to put on cheddar cheese, and guess what? It tasted like there was cheese! I think the mushrooms tricked me. Those little devils. I'll be eating a lot more of them in the future.

This is another bahn mi sandwich, this time from Tam Deli and Cafe. I had veggie spring rolls, a tofu stir-fry bahn mi, and some French cream puffs. The sandwich itself was ok, but the spring rolls were very fresh and plump. I also tried vietnamese coffee, which is just black coffee mixed with sweetened condensed milk, for the first time and I'm hooked. I've never had this flavor before. I like my coffee strong and the condensed milk added just the right amount of sweetness. I will visit again because 1) the spring rolls 2) the coffee 3) the cream puffs 4) Yelp is all over diz bitch.

Can you tell I used the GF grill? I seasoned these tenders with salt, pepper, and a dash of sugar (on a random whim). It kind of caramelized and added this extra oomph I've never had before. It was good but maybe a little too sweet (even for 1 teaspoonish). Served with green beans, leftover pasta, salad, and celery sticks.

This chocolate is GOOD! The sweet and spicy taste and the granular texture of the ginger is just amazing mixed with dark chocolate. My only complaint is not enough ginger! In the back is dark chocolate with cherries and almonds, also very noteworthy.

Yes, I did buy a giant bag of frozen chicken tenders and yes, this is what I'll be eating for a while. This time I baked them in the toaster oven with salt, pepper, olive oil, and a little (little too much that is) sage. Clockwise from top right: broccoli, cucumber, carrot, and celery, romaine lettuce with pecans and walnuts, chicken, and some really wicked sports shapes macaroni. I omitted the butter and added maybe two tablespoons of nutritional yeast, along with some extra milk.

I'm sorry! This breakfast looks even worse than the last one. For this scramble I used leftover chicken, shredded, and some cheddar. The sage tasted really good with the eggs. I also had a blob of Greek yogurt with a dollop of strawberry preserves. I think I'm getting the hang of Greek yogurt! Yippee!

This is what I eat when I'm out (and I mean OUT) of veggies. I don't have anything! Except for a small bunch of leftover parsley, which makes its debut in this naked spaghetti. I made it with a little olive oil, pepper, and chopped parsley. It was very good, but felt subpar because I didn't have any Parmesan. (Side note: I love HEB! I bought parmesan which turned out moldy, and without a receipt they gave me a full refund. That's customer service. Hearts.) Served with GF grill'd salmon.

What do you do when you have no food? No, not go to the grocery store. You go out to eat! This is a chicken guacamole BLT from Hyde Park Bar and Grill. I had it with a ceasar salad, sans dressing and with cheese on the side. I honestly would have preferred it without the chicken. And with avocado, not guacamole. I was really tempted to order the horseshoe, which is ground sirloin on Texas toast, with a pile of fries and cheese on top. I haven't had beef in a very long time. But I resisted! Go me. Maybe not next time, heh.

When I go out, I go all out. Fro yo from JuicyTart. I had chocolate, almond, hazelnut, and raspberry flavor yogurt topped with blueberries, raspberries, and a few chunks of chocolate. Like the sandwich from the Hyde Park grill, I didn't finish this. I was just too full.

And I had to study for my first exam at UT. Chemistry I. I'll let you guys know how I did.

Happy Thursday!

2 comments:

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen said...

I must go try a bahn mi!(Did I even spell that right?) After watching The Great Food Truck Race with The Nom Nom Truck all over that sandwich, I have been wanting to find one...and that chicken guacamole BLT? Goodness. Must go there as well. I love that you are in Austin and can give me good food inspiration!

PS. Whole Foods cannot even compare to Trader Joe's! TJ's has its own product line with goodies more delicious than any brand names I have ever tried (usually), and it is cost-efficient! Oh, it is so hard to describe its amazingness until you've been to one. Sadly, the closest one to Austin is 602 miles away. (I've checked.)

Sarah said...

Sarah-

I just realized I've been spelling banh mi wrong the whole time :X
You should visit Tam's! It's got a good location on N Lamar right by 183. So many tasty, hole in the wall places on Lamar.

Trader Joes sounds amazing. I thought Whole Foods was awesome, now I *definitely* gotta go to TJ's. I've always wanted to go on a road trip to California, that would be the perfect opportunity.